In Tallahassee, FSU is the number one seed as they host UAB today. Mississippi State takes on Samford. FSU outfielder James Ramsey says they've been busy working on fundamentals this week.
The Noles are limping into the NCAA regionals after losing all three games they played in last week's ACC tournament. FSU has lost 7 of their last 10 games.
In Gainesville, national number-one seed Florida is getting ready to host Bethune Cookman, Georgia Tech and College of Charleston. The Gators will play BCC in an opening round game.
Miami and UCF make up two of the four teams in the Coral Gables regional. The top-seeded Hurricanes will play red-hot Stonybrook. The Seawolves are riding an 11-game winning streak. UCF has drawn Missouri State, a team that comes in with a 2.51 earned run average that leads the nation.
In other state sports news....
- Miami Heat forward Chris Bosh made the trip to Boston, but isn't expected to play in Game three of the Eastern Conference final tonight. Bosh hasn't played since the first game of the Indiana series because of a strained abdomen. Miami takes a 2-0 lead into tonight's game. Only 14 teams in NBA history have rallied from an 0-2 hole to win a series, and the Celtics haven't done it since 1969.
- Lauren Chamberlain hit a two-run home run and Keilani Ricketts struck out 11 to lead Oklahoma past South Florida 5-1 Thursday in the opener of the Women's College World Series. USF was playing in the World Series for the first time. The Bulls will play an elimination game on Saturday.
- Former Gator coach Steve Spurrier is sticking with his plan to pay players. South Carolina's outspoken coach first floated the idea at the Southeastern Conference's spring meetings last year. During this week's SEC meetings in Destin, Spurrier trotted out his stipend plan again. Spurrier said that SEC coaches are trying to get extra money for living expense, academic expense and game-related expense to the players because of the billions they are helping to bring in.
- Former FSU defensive back Mike Harris has signed his rookie contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Harris was the 176th overall selection in last month's NFL draft and is the second of the team's six draft picks to sign a contract. Harris finished second in tackles for the Seminoles last season.
- The Carolina Panthers are moving to Florida. Well, just for one week. The team announced Thursday they will prepare for their Sept. 9 regular season opener against the Tampa Bay Bucs at IMG Academies in Bradenton because of the Democratic National Convention. The DNC will be held in Charlotte from September 3-6.
- Looking ahead to the NBA Draft later this month, the Orlando Magic had six prospects work out for them on Thursday. Included in that group was Ohio State center William Buford. The Magic have the 19th and 49th picks in the NBA draft later this month.